Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chapter first visit to the United States

    The first time someone told me about things to the United States in 1996, when I was 16, but said to go to college, not to play NBA. I was the youth team in the East 1-year period of training camp. I am 13 years old youth team into the semi-formal, but very few youth team game every year like a long training camp. I want to break into the Sharks team as soon as possible, so that you can get a pair of good basketball shoes. I do not own shoes size, then there is no shoe contract, so the chapter BenQ from the United States send me shoes. BenQ chapter house in Shanghai only 15 minutes away from my house the way, but I was two years old when the family moved to Wisconsin to, we've met. He was in the United States to go to school. One we both know, please help me in the United States to find him for me to wear shoes, back to China. Once the phone, he asked me, Wang also made with teammates. But a friend of my mother that I better go to the United States, because when the Shanghai team or B team, basketball level is not high, Well, talk casually. His mother in the work of the University of Wisconsin, Chapter BenQ in that study. My first day online, let me see Chapter BenQ University of Wisconsin Stadium, then looked really big. At that time, the players, no one has bigger dreams than this bar. Chapter

    BenQ: (Yao broker) Yao Ming's mother is most concerned about Yao Ming's education. So I told her about NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) is how it works. I mainly want to help their alma mater's basketball team, of course I showed them the University of Wisconsin Web site, I think some of their interest aroused. At that time, including Yao Ming himself, no one expected him to play NBA.

    I know Yao Ming is through my wife, Angie, I have not heard of him before then. We are not cousins, Angie and Yao Ming is. Her mother is a distant relative with Yao Ming. Then again, as long as you like, no one can be called a cousin, is not it? In fact, I called each other cousins with another reason for Yao Ming. That day we met a few months ago, I came from a cousin of Yao Ming heard, he will need shoes, so I propose to help him in the United States to find, bring back to him. Shoes hard to find, maybe the season will be better to find some, but you never know. I almost searched all the shoe stores in Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago has found some shoe store. Finally, find a very remote place in Wisconsin, a shoe store to find a friend, he agreed to get a pair of Nike's St. Louis warehouse to me. Style of the previous year, but I think Yao will definitely not care.

    Yao Ming and his mother to my parents home in Shanghai to get shoes. That was in 1996, he was riding a bicycle to the. I know he has more than 2 meters 10, because I have a childhood memory of my father --- is about Yao Ming's teammate, a friend of my parents. Our house is 30 years old made the man about 2 meters 06, and he came in, the door frame on his head, but he does not need to bow to it. When Yao Ming was coming down avoidance. I asked him about basketball goals, it is clear how he had not thought about NBA. He is a bit shy, more worried about how to survive in the Shanghai team. His mother is more worried about education, did not want him to be a successful athlete last, difficult situation. China's school system so that players miss a lot of sense. Yao mother asked me a lot about the university, I think, I do publicity for the University. Look, I'm recruiting team to help the University of Wisconsin, if he has NBA dreams, I will try to give up. I said, look, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has so many teams, there are so many teams in Europe, every year they are eligible to enter the draft, only 60 people can be selected, of which only less than half the people can insist on 3 years. So you are unlikely. You should listen to your mother, give priority to education. If you can play NBA, the best, if not hit, and there is posterior.

    time, Chinese players no one thought to the NBA. We had the best professional players Hu Weidong, but he could not enter NBA. He is the CBA's power forward. Injured his knee. If the knee is not hurt, he can play small forward or shooting guard, so his level qualify into the NBA. He is not tall, but very strong, Battle also can not move him. Stronger than in southern China's north. China, like the South West Coast of the United States, like the North American East Coast. Hu Weidong far away from the South, he is an exception.

    · Steve Francis: (Houston Rockets guard): I know the players playing in China never talk about Yao Ming. Hu Weidong

    they often talked about. Therefore, once found Yao Ming, the first thing I asked him,

    I asked,

    You ask him what the future may have to be careful --- he would quibble with you on a Chase said.

    Terry · Rhodes (former Nike director of the Chinese market): 96 In the summer, Nike Chinese companies moved from Guangzhou to Shanghai, so I spotted a Yao Ming. We signed a sponsorship agreement with the CBA for all Class A teams shoes and sportswear. The fall of that year where Yao Ming Shanghai Sharks promoted from Class B to Class A, and we are very excited. So we have a team in their home base.

    and I not only Yao Ming will be the face, even told him played. Our company has a team composed of staff of the backbone of the team, every week in the local gym on practice. Nike is the official start of cooperation with the Sharks, and we invite them to play a game. Sharks players are allowed, and we think they are the majority of the general thing --- only 6 feet 4 (1 m 93) is about 6 feet 8, a few (2 meters 03). Yao Ming is the last appearance, when he had 7 feet 3 (2 m 21), 230-pounder. We joke that his thin arms and legs like chopsticks. When he was doing stretching warm-up, we whispered privately that he may well be the same as a mountain, the light has a high degree, not technology.

    and Yao Ming to play, a second jumper block. He kept moving retreat, constantly steals. We do not have professional team players, we were playing dazed. At that time, we conclude that the future of Chinese basketball. Should be clear that it was in 1996. Before that, China produced only one in the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Class A team player --- Ma Jian, University of Utah, he played two seasons (92 'and 93').

    18 Yao Ming wearing a pair of shoes, women's national team from the center Zheng Haixia, where did you get. So I addressed the same day

    shoes, I can not wait until the next day to the office to ask me general manager of Nike in China: the pair of Adidas off forever from the Yao Ming feet to How long? Nike basketball shoes in the factory in Beaverton, express a few pairs of shoes made for the Aaron Resort, I guess they certainly do not believe we have the players to wear this matter sorted out these shoes fit the same as Aaron Sato.

    1997 I was the first time go to the Nike camp in Paris. Tim Hardaway · I met my first American player who became NBA stars. He looked like the rest of us --- two hands, two legs, one head, but he was fast, especially when dribbling, pace and his hands quickly. He would challenge everyone and his one on one, until he was too tired to move up. I do not remember that he is not the best player in camp, because then I do not know what good basketball was. The camp has 85 players, and my number is 85, that means what you want it. At that time I do not worry about how good Tim Hardaway ·, because I think playing in the CBA, anyway, will not be met after someone like Tim Hardaway ·.

    Yao Zhiyuan (Yao father): The trip to Paris gave him a most profound impression. He only went to 6 days, but he learned a lot.

    not about basketball, but about himself and his place in the world of basketball. He found that there are many good players outside of China, and they hit that high level. The first time he knew and the world's best young players in the. He thought, In Paris he found the basketball realm, to the United States, he has done more to improve his level to see in Paris.

    trip to Paris later that winter, I broke my left foot. I was the youth team in the East last season ended, I jumped for a rebound and landed in someone else's feet, that time I sprained my ankle. I think, had not gotten hurt, then I will before the end of the season into the Sharks.

    next season I finally joined the Sharks, and averaged 10 points and 8.3 rebounds. I did not win Rookie of the award, as in the first year of NBA, is no new CBA because the award was, but now there are. They also CBA All-Star Game after the season to move from the season, CBA with the NBA, more and more like some aspects of the.

    the second year, I broke the same foot in the 12 months of preseason. I was about to move, someone stepped on my left foot. I did not play until the end of the season, playing the final 12 games. Houston Rockets for the first time on my feet for the X-ray, they saw my left foot had been broken 2 times, worried that I have serious problems and could not play. Their doctor fly to Beijing and check me out.

    doctor said no problem. But I can say that after the second injury, I could not jumped out. Not that I jump higher, I tried to dunk the first time 13 years old, when I 1 meter 88. I'm not nearly point, but by a lot.

    slam dunk in China is not so important, so do not worry. Two years later I try again, or not. 15-year-old one day, probably after the last time tried to dunk about 6 months, a youth team training, I went through the court to put a ball away and suddenly I decided to try, and I surprised myself, Success,nhl hockey! When I was only 2 meters 03. Chinese always say:

    after that season, playing in the national youth team, the first time I dunked in a game. I fell in the basket, opponents fast break but missed the one hand, the ball passed to me here, no defense. I remember I jumped really high, my head at the rim.

    second dunk was the Sharks second game as a rookie. We have the remaining time of 1 minute were down by 10 points, but in the end won. I had 7 points, including fouled the first dunk. A guard drove the ball to me, even though someone hit me, I poured into the ball.

    Although I can not jump start of a game not jump when I feel lost. I'm almost always the tallest player to watch someone smaller jump center feel very strange. I have the time to get used --- even before joining the Rockets, I did not jump time. Wang and I are in the national team, he will jump into the field, because he is much more than I jump high. My rookie year with the Rockets, we jumped into the power forward Eddie Griffin · field. Eddie started to line up to jump, when Steve pushed me in the middle, so I have to do. This means a lot to me, that he had confidence in me.

    his way almost like a movie, wait until the last second and pushing me. Very dramatic.

    the first time I thought I might be among the NBA was in 1998 when I was 18 years old, both playing in the U.S. came back to China. I never thought I could play so well. Know why? Before that, I played against players in China, much larger than me, big rivals in the youth team when my two-year-old, 17-year-old into the Sharks five-year-old when my opponents big. Let me make it very difficult, for they were so much stronger, playing much longer. In the U.S., I finally play with my age, and feel very different.

    trip to the United States is located in Indianapolis with a Nike camp began. Then, Liu Wei and I went to Dallas to join the AAU (American Amateur Sports Association) is a team called HighFive. Everywhere in the U.S. team in tournaments. In the tour match, the team selected players from anywhere to their team. Different now, the team only from within 100 miles of the city where the selection of players. I first met Raymond in Dallas about · Johnson, who is now the Oakland Raiders winger, we have been friends ever since.

    Thailand about · Johnson: (Yao training camp teammates) I take red-eye flight to Dallas. To the hotel and gave my name on the front desk lady said, I went to the room and knocked no one answered, I use the key to open the door. At this time, Yao Ming opened the door for me, he was wearing underwear, a white tight. I can only see in front of his chin. He and Liu Wei were sacked out. He let me in and went back to bed. They laid out for me a small bed. I immediately called my mom and whispered, .

    in those two months, I began to go after playing --- Dallas Stetson University in Florida; Indianapolis Nike camp; Orlando, San Diego, Phoenix, Augusta, Georgia the AAU (American Amateur Sports Association) summer league or tournament, · Michael Jordan camp in Santa Barbara. Most of the time did not know where they live, where to go. At Stetson, and Georgetown's center every day I · Intrinsic Lagos to train with Lee, he is now in the NBDL (National Basketball Development League) play is the NBA's minor league. Our coach was Tates · Locke college coach for many years, he had just become a scout for the Blazers.

    in San Diego, the last time I played with the ball for the HighFive. We live in the United States International University, in HighFive camp in a big building next door. Side of the highway is a military base, every morning from the University went HighFive Stadium road, we have seen fighter jets taking off and landing. In San Diego the first time I played against Tyson Chandler ·. He was only 15 years old, it has been said that he could play in NBA. He dunked on me and played very well, but I defended well, has very good jumper. I am 3 years old than him, and since then I thought, points lost that game. I thought Yao beat Tyson. The end of the game, he put Tyson back into the half-court shot several times. Yao Ming was hitting his jump shot. I can see how athletic he. I know he needs to get tougher and much longer, he lacks is this all.

    · Tyson Chandler (Chicago Bulls forward and center): The first time I saw him, I think, the highest, but he is even higher my part of it, the big guy the ball is very light, you can pass the ball to him. I had not, and foreign players played the same venue. The big man does not speak English, but also the way from China come to play games with him, for me it is kind of crazy experience for him, it must be the case.

    the whole game he was again stopped by the Thai relentlessly about the jumper. Then I came into his dunk to him scream. Oh, my God --- I do not understand what he was saying, but will be back after he stopped the ball clap, hands the ball to him. He blocked every opponent's attack, the shooting stopped. Nobody could do anything.

    those two months is another thing I learned is that you have to try to shoot: That is not a good team, we have good players, but we do not collaborate. Only one good team, Ming Jiaotai about · Johnson. I heard he is now 6-foot-6 (1 meter 98), 260 pounds, I think he is very close to that time of the body. Our room at the university in the swimming pool, we can soak in the water for a long time.

    me very nice, because in China, when they know that I expected to be a good basketball player when I can not swim, say it is too dangerous. If they see Thai around in the pool with their bodies to hit to hit me even more worried to death.

    Thailand about · Johnson (Yao training camp teammates): I played in the team forward, a game I have 10 assists, 8 times I passed Yao Ming. But his favorite is to control the ball, waiting for an opportunity, because this is his life he was playing with a valuable opportunity.

    we can not communicate, but better. From then on we became friends. Not seen him for years, but I'd give him a call six months, request a translation, and he opened the trilateral meeting. I was drafted by the Raiders of the day, he called me from China congratulations. All-Star team in his second game I saw him, he gave me his jersey. In my opinion, we are friends for life.

    in San Diego, I went to the Jordan camp, but we played every night. I was in Shanghai in the trophy case at home have two photo of me with Jordan. Each one of his players and with the camp group photo of staff and another, I was walking off the court, he patted my back, I'm smiling, but I look very thin. One reason is a whole 2 months I have only 200 dollars available, Liu Wei with a 150. The first two weeks, we did not need to pay for the Sharks general manager Li Yaomin care of us. But in the Nike Camp in Indianapolis, he returned and took his money with him. Our two Chinese children without any money, their own management, to continue in Augusta, Georgia, Orlando and other places to play.

    Thus, in two weeks, I can only eat and Liu Wei, a 99-cent double cheeseburgers, Liu Wei, a day to eat, I eat two, and the hotel free breakfast every day We went very early every day to eat.

    another coach from China came to see us, said to me:

    Liu Wei (national team): In fact, Yao eat two cheeseburgers, I only eat one. I was injured and could not play, so we decided to let him eat a little.

    Li Yaomin did not know I guess the players pay for his own meal in the United States, and perhaps he thought like China, each hotel has a free buffet for the players or the team pays for everything. I hope what he thought of. Our money is exhausted, HighFive Lille · Knicks coach lent us 100 yuan per person. Lille is only 5 feet 6 (1 m 68), then I will not English, called him I do not know where he is now, I still owe him 100 dollars.

    Jordan camp in Santa Barbara, I went to Portland with the Nike contract, and the rest, they let me go with Liu Wei. We went to the driving range hitting a baseball swing, I only name 10 times 1. They also took us to the Willamette River jet ski, I like, but it is thrilling --- I may have done the most thrilling thing.

    Thailand about · Johnson (Yao training camp teammates): Yao Ming had me fly to Portland, to talk to him a play. Nike, he was very valued. He plays a game of jet skis to unafraid, in my opinion is this --- when I was closely followed, he

    stepped on the gas, take a sharp turn, and dumped me too far The. He got a kick out of doing that.

    Liu Wei (national team): We went to batting cages, he took more than a dozen bars, a no name, long way to go. Watercraft fun the most fun was when Yao Ming and fell from his motorcycle to climb back on. Finally he grabbed the back of my motorcycle, I took him back onto pier.

    Terry · Rhodes (a former Nike marketing executive in China): A year later, Nike signed with Yao Ming were four-year contract, pay him 35,000 dollars a year, added bonus, each of 50,000 U.S. dollars. They have signed with the Wang USD 50,000 per year were similar to the contract. Since the Shanghai Sharks, Yao's salary is 20,000 dollars, Nike employees in China to joke that Yao full time at Nike, the team part-time, because Nike is the team paid him to pay compensation twice.

    finally returned to Shanghai,mac makeup, and many journalists at the airport exit. Out two months, I did not care once hair, the hair is very long.

    though I eat well in San Diego and Portland, but still very thin. Skinny with long hair, see themselves on TV, I thought, Speaking of basketball, I usually take the lead. I selected for the Shanghai youth team a few months earlier than he, the Sharks we almost time, but I play one starter opinions, and he sat the bench for a while (I'm always starting but not play for too long.) He is only into the national youth team one year earlier than me, because the youth team has been playing center Wang Zhi Zhi. Wang promoted to the national team, I was into the youth team. I played in a year in young promoted to the national team. I entered the national team three years later, he was selected as the national team has a lot of guards.

    or whether to play in which teams play together, it does not matter for us, we have been friends. I see the U.S. film Many people start with, but one left, another, another one, finally, only a few people left. Less left, the more special.

    I inspired him and helped him to rise to my level team. I'll give him my shirt. He advanced when the national youth team inspire me the same way, for me a great boost, because that is the first time we put in a printed with

    Two months after that summer, we played a youth team in the country, but, all my training with the national team, they started to play the last day of the Games, laid off me.

    Before that Liu Wei and I have been playing together a long time, we often talk about basketball together. In 1997 we became really good friends, between the two men had a special rapport. And is the Wei in the years to play with, we had a fight only one aircraft in total. That was in 97-98 season, we lost a game with the Jiangsu Dragons. I told him he would have how to how to fight, he bluntly pointed out my mistake. Quarrel did not last long, we soon reconciled, it ultimately enhance our friendship. National youth team coach Paul Marin, an army that he first coached the team, then coached the Bayi Rockets. He is a very good person, work efficiency its own way. One of the things is, in the training camp where he will not let me play with Liu Wei.

    I was not the best center in China, only the second year of CBA players. The level of national youth team players are equal, you do not know which five players will be starting. Team has three or four point guards, and I was the only true center, I am sure you will find in the starting lineup for the junior national team, only me and Liu Wei played CBA.

    MA Lian Bao Liu coach knew that I was good friends, there is a tacit understanding between the two, so I do not know why he wants to separate us. As a player, coach, will never ask such a question. I guess it? He wants to ensure control of the team.

    Maybe he does not feel threatened, but he was the officer, the importance of control over all of his. If two players are friends, maybe he feels we will get some power beyond his control. I think he did not want to intentionally harm the team, but he believed that we would all benefit. Maybe he felt too Liu Wei and I will pass to each other, trust each other more than other teammates. But no one ever say that we, if you see us play, it will not see the kind of evidence.

    When the race started, we were both starting to play. We got the Asian Junior Basketball Championship, so that the coach did not practice what kind of impact. Like I said, I like the coach, but disagree with his idea, I always forget this scene.

    Marin Paul coaches have taught me a lesson, I will always remember. can still strive to improve. But if you have this ability,mac brushes, no such intelligence, you can not pass good shots, good cast basket. so, your ability to zero. has the responsibility to make every effort to do the best that can be in the national team for the future of China won the honor. Until you learn how to pass, how to fully cooperate with the team, I really enjoyed the fun of basketball.

    this change, not through demonstrations or tell others that I made. Only because the Sharks began to send a different team and I play, I must make good use of them.

    I first entered the games against the Sharks, the other is always a revolving door to the replacement center, so they always energetic team members to defend me. Before the 2000 Olympic Games in a season, the Sharks move two great American players. Michael · a defense Jones was shot, he was fast enough, but shooting is very accurate from 17 feet, in the absence of defensive shooting has never lost

    wrong. Another is the power forward of the Montreal · Road Robbins, he is good at rebounding, physically strong, but the bad shots, free throws and a jumper can not get into, only 3 feet or closer in place can be hired. He was only two meters 02 or so, but the CBA and the NBA level is a difference. Chinese players in real time, not much stronger. Only a very strong battle,north face denali, and Wang. When we fight against Beijing Ducks, the Road Binns defensive battle, he denied his free-throw circle --- he had so strong. Defensively, Binns Road is also very good at dodge. I'm in the penalty arc

    around, said Binns in the bottom line, this combination is very good. In power stations Binns good point, I'll pass to him, he was so strong, and approach the basket. I will center the other leads, pass the ball only 2 feet from the basket Road, Binns, so opponents hard to drag my exhausted.

    with this sounds simple, but for me it is something new. The past, I will try to score. 2000 Olympic Games, the team to two American players better alternative to Jones and Robbins Road. They are George · Ake Wales, in the second round in 1991, he was the Miami Heat selected; there · Damon Stringer, he was in Ohio and Cleveland play. Damon graduated from college a couple of years, however, very, very fast, playing like a point guard Earl · Perkins --- body, but in fact is playing shooting guard. Damon Perkins not as small stature, but soon, and can shoot. (For the first time playing with Perkins when I saw he had only 1 meter 65, which I thought was grab my fans rushed the ball under the stands it.) Point guard, shooting guard than 5 inches above the team is not too much, but that season is that our team --- Damon is shooting guard, point guard Liu Wei.

    added to the large sharks, Ake Falls ages have been large, I remember it was 34 years old. He shot very well, but can rebound and block each other shots, shots with a hook shot. That year we have a three-point shooting 53% of the players named Shan Weiguo, Every time he defense, I have stepped forward to help him prepare stopped opponents.

    CBA only allows each team with two foreign aid, they are usually the best player in the team, but the gap between Chinese players are not great. I play in these years, the Sharks have a lot of foreign aid from various countries, including U.S. players. American players to China to play one of the reasons is that in the United States or Europe to play, their level is not enough. Nevertheless, the earliest and I play the same venue a few players that still behave as if they are the best. They want to be a star, or think should be the star.

    play on in the event of a dispute, they say, the United States. I will not mention the name of the American foreign aid, he is a defender, to join our team in Hong Kong before the league play. He shoots very accurate, but just do not pass. Both he and the Russian players on the team. Coach Lee called the American players with the ball, and then rumored to his teammates shots, but he refused to do so, and he always tried to score. That year, the media often many reporters to interview me, he will Coushang come with them to talk about me or for me to speak. He stayed in our team was not long.

    the first two years in the CBA, I am not very strong, so at least our team of foreign center with a big man to help me in the basket. They assist the defense, I was in three seconds on both sides of the region close to the bottom line at attacking the basket, waiting for the ball score. Even so, I have worked hard to play, get very tired. But the 1999-2000 season, I became strong enough, the team can break through the introduction of hand and the United States bowler because I can in the penalty area on both sides of activity. I have the task of defensive looks heavier, does not. Few other good center, defense is also easier, because I do not have the entire race, both sides of the rim to hold position. If I did not score, I do not worry --- I know my teammates can.

    2000-2001 season, I really began to enjoy basketball. If the opponent fails to timely implementation of the double man-mark for me, I can easily score. If they double man-mark me, I know as long as the ball to his teammates, they can score. That season ago, we just CBA just a better team, and no chance of winning the title. But in addition to the Bayi Rockets, we became the best team in addition, August and only a little bit better than us. I feel much more relaxed, just focus on winning against a detachment of the target can be achieved. Wang Fei (former coach): see Yao Ming play for the first time is his first year in the CBA. He has more than 7 feet (2 meters 13), but very thin. Yao Ming is very striking point is that the passion for basketball, playing hard. Although he is very thin, not enough skills, and limited understanding of basketball, but his attitude makes him different from many Chinese young players. He is willing to express their feelings, not out of control or allow other players the kind of embarrassing, but his teammates will tell them when the strike hit. This may be nothing special for Americans, but in China is different unusual. I always want players like that, but it is difficult to find that the Chinese players.

    it is not their nature, it is a cultural problem.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment